Tuesday, October 16, 2007

How I Ended Up In Real Estate: Part 4- Important Realizations

The next major period of my life was working with Hercules International. I was Warehouse Manager for about 6.5 years there and it was significant to me for many reasons. I describe some of the skills that are applicable to real estate in the About Me on my website so I won’t go through those. I think it is better to talk about some of the other stuff.

Some of the most important things I learned involved working with a wonderful team of people and developing lasting relationships. It truly helped me appreciate how good it felt to help people in their careers and in their personal lives.

I would like to think that I made a difference in more ways then just the bottom line for my company. I am proud of my accomplishments there and very proud of the staff I worked with. I really miss them but I am excited for the future as well. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done leaving there but it was for the best, for all of us.

I learned that no matter how much you love the people you work with -a few real bad apples could spoil the bunch over time. The longer the time the more sour the stink, heh.

All of this led me to appreciate that I really wanted to help people, that I enjoyed being of service to others. Obviously, I need to make a living as well but there are far more important things in life then money and those are the priority.

No comments: